22 May 2012

OUGD404 Evaluation

What skills have you developed through this module and how effectively do you think you have applied them?
In context of practice, I feel that I am now more capable of viewing and analysing the work of graphic designers in an informed and in depth manner. During the sessions we have had, I feel I have begun to use this skill more effectively, not just within this module, but within all of them. This analytical approach has also been useful when in Crits, as I feel like the feedback I give now is more valuable and valid. 
Through creating my publication, I have also developed my indesign skills, and have been able to create more confident and interesting layouts, and explore how to create more professional editorial. 


What approaches to/methods of design production have you developed and how have they informed your design development process?
I have developed my skills on Indesign, and also on photoshop, in creating my publication, as I was creating a lot of editorials and editing images for the diary. I have focussed mainly on working with the software as opposed to designing onto paper first, which seems to work better for me, although I am aware that had I thought through designing onto paper more thoroughly, how useful it could have been in terms of organisation. I have begun to plan my time better in terms of production, and have also learnt about how to set up and send my work to be professionally printed, which I am sure will become a useful tool for the future. 


What strengths can you identify in your work and how have/will you capitalise on these?
The main strengths I can identify in my final publication are the editorial layouts I created, and also the general style of the publication, which I feel looks professional and considered. I have also felt able to understand and design for a wider audience, which the publication is aimed at, meaning that I can capitalise on this in the future by beginning to explore my understanding of audiences more heavily in my designs. I also feel I have more of a strength in creating ideas, which I can capitalise on in the future by simply developing and pushing my thought process so that I can create something more innovative, or more successful. 
What weaknesses can you identify in your work and how will you address these in the future?
I find that the finishing of the publication has let it down, and the fact that I had to send the book off to the printer in 2 parts means that the publication doesn't look as I hoped it would. I need to begin to become more confident in my ability to finish and bind books, so that I can control the final outcome more. 
The feedback I received also stated that there was not enough space to write in the planner, so in future work I need to create more tests and mock my work up so that I can analyse the design better. 
In academic writing, I need to widen my vocabulary and also begin to research more in depth into subjects, as I am not completely happy with the essay I created. 




Identify five things that you will do differently next time and what do you expect to gain from doing these?
1.Start to use more of the contextual resources, such as pre existing design theory books to inform my knowledge, instead of just relying on the internet. 
2.Explore subjects that interest me within design context in more depth. 
3.I would like to experiment more with formats of publications from now on, as I feel like I have begun to grasp Indesign and would now like to experiment with it.
4.Create mock ups and test the work extensively to ensure the best final outcome.
5.Develop my analytical writing style so that essays in the future can be improved. 


Attendance - 4
Punctuality - 5
Motivation - 3
Commitment - 3
Quantity of work produced - 3
Quality of work produced - 3
Contribution to the group - 3

No comments:

Post a Comment