20 February 2012

Poster Inspiration

Although at the moment I very much doubt that this sort of style will be what Erik Kessel is looking for, I feel like these are a good starting point for me to work from, considering that my posters will have to fulfil the same purpose - promoting tourists to visit Britain. 

They all have a very similar style, and are all very kitsch and 50's in their aesthetic. There is a very similar typeface used throughout, and there is also a very conventional layout being used with each poster. 



I really like this poster, as I think the poster feels a little more dynamic and visually interesting than some of the other posters. The simplicity of the illustration also looks slightly less kitsch and tacky, and the minimal text works well, whilst still retaining a sense of its purpose of promotion. 


I love the style of illustration used in this poster, it's very fun and quite childish, but this is what makes this poster special and appealing. However, some of the typefaces used are not as... attractive as they could be, and the layout of the text isn't very well thought out.

 I like the use of the stick of rock, a piece of iconography from the British seaside, although I'm not sure it's particularly recognisable or relevant anymore. The colours used are also very iconic of the seaside holiday, and is very effective in it's promotion of Eastbourne, as looking at it lifts the spirit. I think the typefaces used in this also work well. 



Images taken from http://vintageposterblog.com/2011/11/16/the-new-wave/

No comments:

Post a Comment