5 October 2011

Personal Alphabet Research Part 2

Urban
Another thing mentioned in the interview was that Ste wished he could bring Tupac back to life, and when I was asking someone for another word to describe Ste, Urban was one that popped up. Obviously it would be embarassing for me to start exercising cliches in what I feel is urban design and create a typeface based mainly on graffitti lettering, so I wanted to look more at what he'd said about Tupac, and I researched into the style of presentation on his and a few other Hip Hop artists album covers.

After looking at Ste's love and hate post on his context blog, I also found these images, based on the kind of style he likes. 


http://bristolgraffiti.wordpress.com/page/34/
What I notice between these images, which are more aimed at a niche market of people passionate about street art, and the more commercial side of hip hop and urban life in the album covers, is that a similar font is used in all of them, which is simple and bold, but often uses serifs, and in some ways also have elements in common with the typeface used on old school tattoo designs. 

In my designs I would like to begin experimenting with these styles of typeface, and looking to adapt them so that they can include elements of both the simple and bold, and the intricate and classic designs of the old school tattoos. 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment